What does the climate smart foreign policy mean in practice? How Hungary plans to achieve climate neutrality? How the right to an adequate climate is a precondition for other human rights? We are happy to invite you to a webinar to learn more and to discuss these issues with both Finnish and Hungarian experts.
Climate change and its impacts, including sea level rise, extreme weather events and droughts impact to lives of millions of people. Combating climate change has been recognized as instrumental to achieving Sustainable Development Goals. Therefore, it is now beyond dispute that climate change caused by human activity has negative impacts on the full enjoyment of human rights. Or, to put it other way round, healthy environment is prerequisite for achieving human rights.
Finland is among the first countries to have drawn up an action plan for its foreign policy on climate change. What does the climate smart foreign policy mean in practice? How Hungary plans to achieve climate neutrality? How the right to an adequate climate is a precondition for other human rights?
The event is organized in relation to the Finnish candidature to the UN Human Rights Council for the period 2022-2024. Programme of the webinar:
- Welcoming words – Ambassador Markku Virri, Embassy of Finland, Budapest
- Action plan for climate foreign policy – what does it mean? – Ambassador Jan Wahlberg, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Finland
- Hungary´s path towards climate neutrality – Ms Barbara Botos, Deputy State Secretary, Ministry of Innovation and Technology, Hungary
- The right to an adequate climate as a precondition for the realization of other human rights – Mr András Huszár, Director, Green Policy Center, Hungary
- TBC: Intervention by Diana Ürge-Vorsatz, Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy; Vice Chair, Working Group III, IPCC
- Commentary by Markku Kanninen, professor emeritus, University of Helsinki, Viikki Tropical Resources Institute (VITRI)
The webinar will take place on Teams platform and the link to the event will be sent to all registered participants! Registration